Safety when handling a lead acid batteryadmin
Because the Lead-acid Batteries They are made up of chemicals, byproducts of their chemical reactions, as well as circulating electric currents, can pose a danger for people who operate, do maintenance and/or charge the batteries if you do not have Knowledge of the security measures to FOLLOW.
- The sulfuric acid (electrolyte) of the batteries is highly corrosive. If it spills on your clothes or body, wash the affected area immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. In the case of a splash in the eyes, do not close them, rinse them with water for the aforementioned time and seek medical attention as soon as Possible.
- wear protective equipmentsuch as goggles, coveralls, gloves and Boots. Try not to put your pants inside the boots because if you spill acid you can form a puddle inside these.
- The preparation of the electrolyte (37% sulphuric acid approximately) can be dangerous due to the heat generated in the process. It is vital that the concentrated acid is added to the water (and not the other way around) to take advantage of the high calorific capacity of the water, and to avoid producing acid splashes.
- in the event of a major acid spill in the soil , never throw water on it, but absorb it with an absorbent material that once impregnated with acid should be put in a bag for hazardous waste, and Not to household Waste. then, any traces or stains of electrolyte that can remain in the soil, can be neutralized cleaning by a solution of bicarbonate of sodium (125g/l of water) followed by a rinsed final with water.
- In marine environments, do not allow the battery solution to mix with seawater, as it may produce poisonous chlorine gas.
- Always practice good hygiene and wash your hands after touching a battery and before Eating. Touching the lead plates of a battery and not washing your hands may result in exposure to LEAD. Signs of lead exposure include loss of appetite, diarrhea, constipation with belly pain, sleep difficulties, and Fatigue.
- Because batteries produce flammable gases, It is very important to store and maintain batteries in a well ventilated work area and away from sources of Ignition. cigarettes, Flames or a simple spark can cause the battery to Explode.
- Use non-conductive Tools (rodéalas with insulating tape if necessary). Avoid wearing metal objects such as jewelry, as a short-circuit current can weld a ring or bracelet to the metal and cause serious burns.
- When moving a battery, care must be taken to avoid acid spills. Make sure the battery is secure and upright in the vehicle or Equipment.
- The batteries contain lead Inside. therefore, when the capacity is greater than 50Ah, its weight becomes considerable. Never tilt your back, remember that it is your legs and knees that must make the most important effort when lifting the battery. A battery should always be lifted from the base, avoid the terminals, as this could damage the Seals.
- Due to the fact that it contains lead (in addition to sulfuric acid), at the end of its useful life, it is not possible to dispose of the household waste, it must be taken to a recycling circuit or delivered to the person supplying the new battery.
- When connecting the terminals of an external charger to the battery, always first put the red wire to the positive terminal and then the black wire to the negative terminal. To disconnect, first always remove the black wire and then the red One. It is necessary to follow this order to avoid possible sparks.
- Make sure that the polarity of the terminals is correctwhen installing the battery, otherwise it could damage the equipment to be powered. You can use an analyzer or battery tester to CHECK.