Main causes that accelerate the sulfate of industrial batteries.

sulfatacion+de+baterias

Main causes that accelerate the sulfate of industrial batteries.

This post is also available in: esEspañol caCatalà

When the battery runs normally, the negative plate lead and the positive plate lead DI-oxide are coupled. And they are combined with the sulfuric acid of the electrolyte, which produces lead sulfate (PbSO4).

This process is normally reversed when the battery is recharged by re-forming the original materials of the plates: lead on the negative plate and lead oxide on the positive plate.

In certain circumstances this process is not effectively reversed, resulting in plaques forming a layer of lead sulfate crystals. Battery Sulphate

These hardened crystals do not have a reversible process, i.e. the normal recharge of the battery cannot undo the lead sulfate crystals.

Sulfate-Batteries-de-auto-enerjet-min

80% of the batteries “die” prematurely due to sulfate. The causes that cause the sulfate are inherent to the lead-acid batteries such as loading and unloading, but there are also other causes that accelerate it even more:

  • For example, batteries are not used for long periods of time. It accelerates the sulfate.
  • Batteries are stored without a permanent flotation charge.
  • Use of batteries in applications for which they were not designed. Example, starter batteries for deep-discharge applications and vice versa.
  • Prematurely interrupt the battery charging process. If we charge a battery at 80%, the remaining 20% of the non-reactivated material will suffer from sulfate.
  • The high temperatures increase the self-discharge of the batteries.
  • Incorrect load and load voltage levels.

This post is also available in: esEspañol caCatalà